Saturday, November 8, 2008

Fourth Day in a Row

"On the seven seas there was a phantom ship acoming, Shinin' in the dead of night, I heard the crew a hummin' Tunes that sounded like the Rolling Stones and Leonard Cohen. But they didn't know the words, So I assumed that they was foreign." Electric Light Orchestra, Illusions in G-Major

I have to recommend a song to download into your Ipod. It's "Illusions in G Major" by the Electric Light Orchestra a.k.a. ELO. It's located on their "Eldorado" album, yes album, from way back in the 70's. It wasn't a single, but it was the "B" side of one of their singles. If you never owned a "45," then you have no clue what I'm talking about. Anyhow, if you can find it, download it. It's guaranteed to put some "pep into your step." If anyone actually reads this and has songs that are more recent to recommend to me, please do so. Being stuck in the 70's music wise is difficult sometimes.
OK, yesterday I skipped Happy Hour at Humphrey's and came home. I did what my co-worker Jim calls the "Duck and roll," meaning at exactly 3 p.m. I signed out, sprinted to my car, and drove home. This helped me avoid the possibility of my other co-workers, most who are younger, hot looking women, talking me into going out for "Just one drink." As all of you know, there's no such thing at Happy Hour as "Just one drink." One delicious tasting Sam Adams develops into having "Just one more," which leads to several just one mores, which leads to going to Mickey D's on the way home for the double cheeseburger and two regular fries off the dollar menu, which leads to driving home with one hand on the wheel, and the other hand stuffing the double cheeseburger and fries into my mouth. What's really cool is that any fries that don't make it to my mouth become "floor food," meaning they sit on the floor of my car for future consumption. Yes, I have eaten floor food in the past.
Well, before I finally went out for a run, I did everything I could to NOT go out for a run. The cats food dish needed food and water, I separated the laundry and washed a load, I folded and put away the clothes in the dryer, I checked the messages on the answering machine...you get the idea. By the time I was done stalling, it was nearly dark. Had I not procrastinated, I would have run 5 miles. Instead, I ran four miles, on the first running route I created here in Cheshire. It was once again warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt (Yea!), and I ran a 32:37 (8:07/M). I'm noticing a pattern this week: all my times are very close as far as pace per mile, which makes me extremely happy. Plus it's pretty much effortless. Today I'm planning on running somewhere between 6 and 10 miles on the Linear Trail. I always look forward to the weekend and my Linear Trail runs. More later...

No comments: