Wednesday, November 19, 2008

CCCCCOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD!!

"And I got such a long way to go... So I'll ride like the wind. Gonna run like the wind." Christopher Cross: Ride Like the Wind

I didn't run on the Linear Trail as planned. It's one downfall is that it doesn't have lighting (only "lightning"), so long story short, I ran on the roads. Before running, I once again consulted WTNH.com and groaned when I read the following: Temperature: 28 degrees...Feels like 23 degrees. Yup, you know the routine. Same running gear as yesterday, plus my yellow arm band with the battery powered red light so I'm visible in the dark. My greatest fear of running at night is that there's always the possibility I become "road pizza," meaning some person talking on their cell phone and not paying attention to the road runs me over. I always make sure I'm visible, run on well lit roads, and of course hug the curb whenever traffic approaches me. Of course not being able to see as well as most people in the dark hinders me a little bit. I always console myself by thinking that if I ever get run over, at least I'll die with a smile on my face since I'll be doing two of my favorite things: Running and listening to 70's music. OK, on to more pleasant thoughts. My time and distance was 5.1 miles: 42:09 (8:15/M). Once again, I'm satisfied. I'm actually enjoying running in the cold, at least for now. This time of the year I feel like I'd rather be living in the west, where it's always warm, and football's on at 10 a.m. However, due to lots of reasons that I won't go into, that cannot and will not happen. Anyhow, tomorrow will not be a running day. A co-worker who recently lost her husband has invited all of us at work to go out after work and celebrate her birthday. It's an offer I can't refuse. Problem is, the restaurant she picked doesn't serve beer, and I don't drink wine. So my gameplan is to go to Humphrey's first, have some Sam Adams, then head to the restaurant she's at. I am already having flashbacks to the 70's show "Lost in Space," and the robot waving his arms and shouting "Warning-warning, danger-danger." Yes, I know, I'm showing my age and not acting it.

No comments: