Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Faster Still!!

Today's Run Stats: Farmington Canal Linear Park; 36 degrees; 3 miles; 27:34; 9:11 per mile pace. Mile 1: 9:29, mile 2: 9:23, mile 3: 8:42.

I decided to live dangerously today. I decided to run for the second day in a row, and even worse, I ran at a pace of 9:11 per mile, which obviously is WAY below my podiatrist recommended 11 minute mile pace. Why? Because I'm a runner, not a walker. As those of you who read this blog know, it's extremely difficult to run an 11 minute mile for a short distance. I did it the first two weeks, and felt as if I was causing more harm than good. My form was off, my steps were off, and my entire body felt out of alignment. So I ask, was it really helping me? I think not. So, as you've read in my previous blogs and this blog, I've increased my pace a week early. I'm saying a week early because the next two week's runs were supposed to be at a 9 to 9:30 pace for 4-5 miles. I had all intentions of not being overzealous. My first mistake was listening to "Eye of the Tiger" as I started. I wasn't too reckless until mile 2.25. BUT, there it was, beckoning me...a straight, flat, paved portion of the linear trail. The final 3/4 of a mile to the finish was in my view. Above it was a beautiful winter sky. The wind was pushing me from behind. I couldn't hold back. I just had to run faster; I had to feel the runner's high that we've all experienced when it just feels right. So, off I went, faster, feeling the wind at my back, and savoring the last leg of my journey. My arms were pumping, my feet were flying, and my breathing was...labored! Damn, I could tell I hadn't pushed myself in a while. It turned out to be the most difficult 3/4 of a mile that I've run since I first began running. However, I finished my 8:42 last mile with a smile, and smelling like a sewer. (Lucky for Carlee she didn't run with me today). Speaking of Carlee, who's a teacher, I decided to be more proficient in the composition of this blog. I'm hoping that there aren't any spelling or grammar errors. P.S. I've penciled in the Danbury 1/2 Marathon on April 5th. I'm hoping I can make it happen, since I have 46 days to prepare.

2 comments:

Anais said...

Haha, Eye of the Tiger IS a great motivator!!

And speaking of running slower than your pace, I may not run marathons (yet!) but I totally agree. Before I pushed up my speed, I was totally finding it almost HARDER to go at a slower pace...

Lindsay said...

nice job! it's hard to hold back when you have a good song playing. (try to) take it easy on the rest of your runs this week and don't beat yourself up if you are a little slower than your goal pace! thanks for reading my blog, i'm looking forward to learning more about you and your running!