Saturday, March 21, 2009

You're Damn Right I Ran!!

48 degrees; splits 9:02; 8:57; 8:52; 8:46; 35:37 total for 4 miles; 8:54 per mile pace.

Well, after 2 days of resting, lots of ibuprofen, and some icing of my heel, I decided that I'd risk running. After all, if it felt alright to walk, then why not give running a shot? To be safe, I chose the Farmington Canal Linear Park (a.k.a. the linear trail). I really don't have any great insight about my run, but I will say that I completed it with goosebumps. I am again a runner, as slow a runner as when I began running again 2 1/2 years ago, but I am a runner. I ran the linear trail...I ran 4 miles and I didn't have to walk. Sure my heel hurt a little bit, especially when I turned around at mile 2, but so what. I've got hope, and hope is a wonderful thing. I just spent $5.00 (thank-you Amazon.com) and bought Jeff Galloway's book "Marathon!" I'm going to set up a run/walk training program based on his book. I believe that I can still run/walk long races with decent times, plus alleviate the wear and tear on my 52 year old body. I'm going to go start reading and taking notes now. By the way, THANK-YOU everyone for you well wishes. All of you lifted my spirits and I greatly appreciate that. P.S. Guess who I saw during my run?! Yup, "roller blading, disco dancing, karaoke singing, linear trail lady." I love that woman!!

5 comments:

Anais said...

Whew! It's go to see that you're back to running! As my Nike+ Mini Me always says...Nothing can stop you! Keep up the good work :) I'll be going for another outdoor run tomorrow!

Rookie on the Run said...

Yay!! You give me hope! After a week off, I am so missing running (including not doing my 14-mile group run today). It's great to see that you are back in it.

I'm going to look at that book... I started using some of Galloway's techniques before my knee got too bad to run. I need to get more technical about it, though.

Have a great weekend!

Rookie on the Run said...

Me again... ordered the Galloway book too! I love used books from Amazon. :)

Irish Cream said...

Great job getting out there! I have heard a lot of great things about Galloway's techniques . . . I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the program. Hope the foot/heel pain stays manageable for you! :)

Lindsay said...

glad it went well but take it easy if you need to!