Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Gr8 Run

52 degrees; splits 9:00; 8:54; 8:53; 9:09; 9:08; 8:58; 8:57; 8:34 1:11:34 total for 8 miles; 8:57 per mile pace.

A Great (Gr8)run today on the linear trail. The weather was perfect for a March 14 day in Connecticut. There was barely a breeze, and the temperature was 52 degrees. I decided that since I'm planning on running in a 10 mile race in 3 weeks, that it was time to attempt an 8 miler as I'm still working my way back to longer distances. Yesterday I went out after bowling with my co-workers to Happy Hour, consumed too much beer, and sleep for 11 hours instead of my usual 6 1/2 hours. So I was more tired than usual.I chose to "cheat" before running, and stopped, bought and guzzled a 16 oz. Monster Low Carb energy drink before I ran. To be kinder on my legs and heel, I chose to run the Farmington Canal Linear Park (a.k.a. the linear trail). It was fairly crowded, as is usual for a Saturday afternoon. Fortunately I avoided the few mine fields (dog poop)I encountered as I was running. Surprisingly, I didn't see roller blading, disco dancing, karaoke singing, linear trail lady today. I don't have any words of wisdom or fantastic moments from today's run. I can say that I ran pain free (yes, my heel survived my last 7 mile run), had good breathing, and was very happy with my split times. I'm guessing that my mile 4 and 5 split times are higher due to me turning around at mile 4 on the trail and heading back. The fact that I averaged just under 9 minute mile pace on the trail for 8 miles thrills me. I'm ahead of the game as far as running the 10 miler in 3 weeks. As usual, I have to not be stupid and push myself too much, which I probably already am. It's difficult not to when my right knee no longer hurts, and my left heel also is feeling good. Tomorrow I'm running on the road, probably a long, slower paced 7 or 8 miler. For now, life is good for Marathonman101108. By the way, I greatly appreciate the comments from everyone. It's nice to have your support and words of wisdom.

2 comments:

Irish Cream said...

Awesome job! I am thinking today was destined to be a great running day across the board, because I had a fabulous run today as well. The weather was such a treat! So glad to hear you're running pain free. Keep up the great work!!

Lindsay said...

nice job on the 8! glad it went well for you. it is definitely hard to pull the reins in when nothing is aching, but the patience will pay off!