Sunday, May 17, 2009

Slooooooow Run! (Take it Easy)

Temperature: 52 degrees; Linear Trail: Splits 9:43; 9:43; 9:44; 9:51; 9:48; 9:09 57:58 total for 6 miles; 9:39 per mile pace.

I had a million excuses not to run today. I still have a cough and the bleepin' postnasal drip that goes along with it. It rained last night, and it was wet and dreary outside. Why was it only 52 degrees in Connecticut on May 17?! No shorts, sweats instead...Boo! My lawn needed to be mowed...How could I run 6 miles after being sick for a week? I missed my second week of marathon training, and I had to start my 3rd week with a 6 mile run???
But I ran...not only did I run for myself, but for all of you. My 11+ "Followers" are the motivation for me NOT to be lazy and say I can't do it. Especially those of you who are injured and want to run but can't. Every time I run I try to remind myself how lucky I am that I have the ability and the good health to be able to do so. Today's run, on the Farmington Canal Trail (aka "The Linear Trail), was slow, yet enjoyable. It just felt great to be running again. My goal was simple: to complete the run without taking any walk breaks. My time didn't matter. I felt good, except for not having the "bounce" in my running. It was a slow and steady run, and I tried to concentrate on my form and my steps. I took notice of how beautiful the trail looks now that all the trees are in bloom. I was surprised at how lonely I felt. Since it was a "blah" day, there was only about 5 cars in the parking lot. Usually there's 5 times that. Thank goodness for my music. Speaking of music, I listened to everyone's music recommendations. You did well! I now have to try to remember how to download your song selections onto my mp3 player. When I do, I will! Great thing is that I will have musical motivation from all of you whenever I run.
I also want to thank everyone for your well wishes. I really didn't expect 7 responses to a non-running post about my sinus infection and pink-eye. Each and every one of you put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye...or was the tear from my pink-eye?! In any case, thank-you, I love all of you, and I wish I could give everyone a hug. Oh, and Lisa, yes I'm aware that everyone commenting is a woman!! Don't worry, wiseass, my wife's ok with it!!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

lol. you just need to find some male running-bloggers. glad you were able to get back out and running again. i thought about some blogging-friends who are currently unable to run due to injury this weekend as well when i was getting ready for my run! i'm sure your bounce will come back in a few days as you continue to get better.

Rookie on the Run said...

Good for you for getting out there with all those excuses not to! It sounds like it was a nice, quiet run. I bet spring, in places where it actually rains, is absolutely gorgeous!

It's great to hear you are on the mend!

Melanie Tait said...

Hey Rick - good on you for getting back out there again in spite of a "postnasal" drip (that made me laugh -such a funny expression!).

I hear ya about how your mates in Blogland help you get out there. It's the same for me :). Every little comment and hit helps you in those times when you feel can't keep going, hey?

Mel-2nd Chances said...

comments and bloggers are a huge motivation..... hmm, 4 comments from ladies again. lol Glad you're feeling better, and very happy that you're running while you can, cuz you're right, it sucks when you can't.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get back out there!!! Don't worry I haven't forgotten about your song idea requests...I'm thinking

Anais said...

It's true, all commenters are women!! I had not thought of that!

You rock for running 6 MILES after being sick. Really. I was going to do a long outdoor run but bailed because it was 4 degrees celsius here and VERY windy. It was such a great idea to get all the different songs, it really will be as though we're all cheering you on! :)

Irish Cream said...

It was kind of blah yesterday, wasn't it? But great job getting out there! Hope you continue to feel better! :)