Tuesday, November 24, 2009

One More Marathon???

Today's Run: Road. 48 degrees. 3.52 miles; Splits: 9:13; 9:08; 8:57; 4:32. 31:50; 9:02/mile average pace.

It was cold and getting dark, but I managed to get in a short run. I wanted to have one last run before the Manchester Road Race on Thursday. I ended up being overdressed. Since it was 48 degrees, I decided that shorts weren't an option. So I reluctantly wore my long sleeved top and pants, and a hat. By the halfway point my glasses were fogged and I was sweating way too much. I rolled up my sleeves and put my hat in my pocket, which solved the overheated Rick problem. I felt so-so for the first part of my run, but once I cooled off I felt great. My split times were slower than I would have liked to see, but most important to me was how I felt when I finished: great. I was going to drive to Manchester (CT) to register for the Thanksgiving race, but at the last minute my son started to feel sick. So he's in bed watching tv, and looking kinda green. Tomorrow is the last day I can register. I have a feeling I'll be watching the race on tv instead of running in it. I guess me missing the online registration happened for a reason. As long as my son feels better soon, then I'm ok with not running the race. I always worry whenever he's not feeling well, since he has Muscular Dystrophy.
In a happier note, my wife and I have been trying to plan a 4 day vacation for the two of us. We went from going to Las Vegas to now possibly going to Disney World. She's an accountant, so we'd have to go during the first part of January. The dates she happened to pick are at the same time as the Disney World marathon. I checked their website..it's already 94% filled. Problem is getting a hotel at that time is difficult and expensive. Is it a coincidence, or is it meant to be? Is there another marathon in the future for me??? We shall see. I guess I shouldn't have said "never again" as far as running another marathon. IF we can work out the travel arrangements, and IF it doesn't get filled, then what the heck, I'm going to run it.

9 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Go for it! It's waiting for you to sign up before filling up! I'm confident that you have another one in ya.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh RIck, you are SO doing another marathon! I can read between the lines...won't be suprised if there will be a few more too. Really! Disney sounds like a lot of fun! Book it, enter, go for it! Good luck with the plans!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

I have run Disney 2 times and I really liked it. If you are there and can get in, go for it. First 4 miles are a little crowded, but after that, it's smooth sailing. Flat except for a couple of interstate ramps. Fun!

Lisa said...

unners should never say "never" lol. You'll do another marathon I'm sure ;) I wold love to run the Disneyland half sometime.

Rookie on the Run said...

Does your wife mind you running a marathon during your little get-away? If not, I say go for it!! I know you want to run another marathon... and what better one to do than the one at Disney World?!

Anonymous said...

Haha thats great. I hope it works out!!! That's a race I'm dying to do.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

DISNEY is SO FUN! Have you actually looked into hotels yet? When I ran the Disney Marathon in 2008 it was surprisingly quiet all around, compared to every other time we've been to Disney world. We stayed at the All star resorts. Nothing fancy, but still all the perks of staying on Disney property, and relatively cheap. They have pacakges for runners!

Anais said...

I really hope your son feels better soon!

And as for the marathon... I don't know if you're allowed to pass on the disney marathon :P Just saying ;)

Lindsay said...

lol, coulda known this would happen! :) do it! the disney marathon is so fun - running through the parks and seeing all the characters. hopefully it'll all work out, but if not, i still feel like there will be another ;)