Saturday, August 15, 2009

Meg Was My Motivator, and One Runner's Perspective

Random Road Run: Temperature 88 degrees (feels like 92 degrees; dew point in the 70's) Splits 9:48; 9:32; 8:57; :50; 29:07 total for 3.1 miles; 9:22 per mile pace. (Planned pace was to finish before passing out!).

Today was going to be a day of rest. I'm scheduled to run 10 miles tomorrow, I'd run the past two days in hot and humid temperatures, and at 10 a.m. it was already 85 degrees and humid. Then I checked my e-mail and opened an e-mail I received from another running blogger, Meg. http://megrunsalot.blogspot.com/ Her kind words about my blog inspired me to run today. I decided to go out, have a good attitude, and just have fun. Normally I try to do that anyhow, but it was nice to be reminded that running is fun, and something that I've chosen to do not just because I'm training for my third and last marathon, but because I LIKE to run. When I run, anything in my life that is stressing me out doesn't exist. Life is good, life is simple, and the sights, smells and sounds I experience while running are priceless. I think that only us runner's appreciate that. More so the casual or non-competitive runners, like myself. Not to say that competitive runners don't experience it, but in my opinion it's to a lesser degree. I guess what I'm saying is appreciate running for what it is. Enjoy the sights, the scenery, the smells and the sounds as you're running. If you turn down the volume on your Ipod or even leave it at home at times, you'll enjoy your run even more. Life is full of amazing people, places, and things if we just open our minds while running. Be thankful you're able to run. Many people can't run for a variety of reasons, which I'm sure you're all aware of. Every time I'm able to get out of bed, put on my running clothes, lace up my running shoes, and go out and put one foot in front of the other for mile after mile, I'm thankful. Appreciate the gift that you have-the gift of running. The gift of being able to run for as far as you want, for as long as you want, wherever you want, and whenever you want. Do yourself and others a favor. Enter a race that runs for a cause. Whether it's cancer, leukemia, muscular dystrophy, etc. enter a race that by you running in it benefits someone besides yourself. You'll not only get the satisfaction of helping someone else, but also the satisfaction of knowing that you have become a better person by doing so.

4 comments:

montisse98 said...

you have a very positive perspective and I agree -it's the little things in life...

Unknown said...

Wow...thanks but I think YOU were the first motivator. Remember, you were the one that stuck to your ideals and real motivation for running AND blogging.

Keep up the fun running and awesome attitude!

Lindsay said...

"finish before passing out" haha. i assume that was a success. :)

hey i enjoy those feel-good runs too, in addition to just plain being enjoyable for me they mean no pressure. i like challenging myself though i know i can be too hard a good bit of the time, but that's why you are around to lecture me!

great post about your everyday positive vibe towards life and running, something we all may let lax at times.

Irish Cream said...

Love your attitude, Rick. Seriously, I needed this today. I have speed intervals planned that I was NOT looking forward to, but this has motivated me to get them done and ENJOY them . . . because I can, and I'm ridiculously lucky to be able to do so. Thanks for putting things into perspective for me. You are awesome :)